Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fixing Quinoa Tonight

Organic Quinoa Grain

Organic Quinoa Grain (pronounced keen-wa) is a high-protein grain cultivated by Incan tribes in the Andes Mountains of South America. Grown in Ecuador, this mild powerhouse grain is quickly becoming a staple in healthy diets. Quinoa can be substituted for rice in most recipes.

Quinoa Taboule
Contributed by Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods

This is the recipe that is on the back label of the Quinoa Grain label.
Ingredients
  • 2 Cups cooked and cooled Quinoa Organic Grain
  • 1 Cup chopped Parsley
  • 1/2 Cup chopped Scallions or Green Onions
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Mint (or 1 tsp.dried)
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced or pressed
  • 1 Tbsp minced fresh Basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
  • 1/2 cup fresh Lemon Juice
  • 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/8 tsp White Pepper









Directions

Toss together all ingredients. Chill for 1 hour or more to allow flavors to blend.

Makes 6 servings.

Above is the information and recipe listed on my bag of organic quinoa from Bobs Red Mill

The last time I went food shopping at our wal mart, and checked out their health food section, there was one bag left of the quinoa-so I snatched it-lol

I got away from making grains like this, cause hubby won't eat them-I don't like them he says, and if he would give it all another chance it would be so much healthier for him.

I was getting tired of making two different things for us to eat, like a baked potatoe for him and a healthy grain for me-and I decided since my body is going thru changes again-I need to get back with it.

I hadn't made quinoa in a long time, but I remember I always liked it, the grain cooks up fast, so you need to keep an eye on it, and as soon as the water is just about gone, need to turn off the heat and put a lid on-let set for 15 minutes or so-fluff up.

I decided to use the above recipe as a guide-I have the fresh parsley in my garden, mint from Deb, a fresh red onion in the garden too, so I added sliced up fresh celery leaves too, sauted a bit in olive oil, and added all to the quinoa, instead of the olive oil and lemon juice, I added Paul Newmans olive oil and italian dressing-just a little to moisten a bit-nice flavor. So I am happy with this, it is to set in the frig a bit til cold-and will serve with supper tonight.

It is soooo hot and humid here that I don't enjoy barbecuing, so I made split chicken breast with bbq sauce in the crock pot. I also found two heads of broccoli to cut, and pea pods-so those will go in the steamer along with a little cabbage.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails