Since I have been posting some gluten free baking recipes, I am thinking I will check out whats online for recipes with chicken that are gluten free-there are lots of them!
Reading one recipe, I hadn't thought of making a white sauce with rice flour-thats nifty to know
Gluten Free Chicken and Noodles Recipe
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1- 12oz. package gluten free noodles
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (or one large can)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook and drain the gluten free noodles according to the directions on the package. Set the gluten free noodles aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the chicken broth, milk, cornstarch and pepper. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Add the shredded carrot to the chicken broth mixture in the saucepan.
- Turn on the burner under the saucepan to a medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken as it cooks. This should take about ten minutes.
- Combine gluten free noodles, chicken and sauce in a large ungreased baking dish.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Let the gluten free chicken and noodles rest for five minutes before serving.
Add More Nutrition to this Gluten Free Chicken and Noodles Recipe
The shredded carrots in this casserole recipe add a boost of nutrition and flavor. To maximize the nutrition and round out the gluten free meals, try these additional suggestions:
- Add half a cup of frozen peas, asparagus or broccoli to the gluten free noodles in the last four minutes of cooking. This will soften the vegetables and make them ready to add to the rest of the casserole.
- Choose whole grain gluten free noodles. There are wonderful options available that are made with brown rice, amaranth, millet, teff or a combination of grains.
- Round out this creamy meal with a salad made of dark greens. Top the salad with nuts, dried cranberries and a light vinaigrette