Thursday, April 15, 2010

Herb Thursdays Bloodroot

I am soooo excited to share this with you. Our friend that has been showing us the mushrooms here in our woods (grew up here-and knows all the plants too) stopped by to go looking for morels.

I told him I was out for a couple hours two days ago, and Larry and I were out for about an hour yesterday and nothing. Thinking perhaps too dry? So I suggested we explore another area of the woods.

We went into an area of our woods that I rarely go hiking in, he led me to walnut holler which is supposed to be the best in this area for morels.

Yep; too dry for any mushrooms to grow-however--while walking, he was a bit below on the ridge and ahead of me, and I was on top towards the middle of the ridge searching; I came across this beautiful patch of something I had never seen before-gotta ask my friend what it is. Meanwhile, I hear him calling me, he is up on top now-says I gotta show you something-I says I gotta show you something too. He points to what I found too-bloodroot.

Laughing, he says you gotta mark this spot-this is unbelievable to find this big of an area, and don't tell too many people about it either. He explains how you mix this up in the blender with goldenseal roots too, and use it for severe psoriasis of the skin or poison ivy or poison oak. He also told me NOT to ingest it-not poisonous but will make you sick. I asked him if I could use this as a dye-oh yes! during our conversations I discovered he used to build spinning wheels and yes he knows how to spin-I said now I am really excited-I just found my spinning teacher.lol

We walked on around and down to the bottom of the holler, and found goldenseal-I was sooo excited about this. He also showed me a huge patch of wild raspberries, lots more huckleberries, and one large gooseberry-so cool.

He also pointed out an echnacia plant just starting to grow too-amazing to me. Also wild onions, I knew of the wild garlic that grows everywhere but not the onions-so that was fun as well to learn about.

When we walked back to the house, I took some ribbon and little flag stakes to mark things right away. also my camera-above photo is mine. I marked the bloodroot, but could not remember how he got over to the goldenseal, I know I was all around it, just couldn't spot it. So next time we go out, I will be sure to have my camera and marking stuff with my mushroom bags.

More information I found on Bloodroot

from here http://www.altnature.com/gallery/bloodroot.htm

Bloodroot is used in herbal medicine in very small doses, mainly for bronchial problems and severe throat infections. The root is used in many pharmaceuticals, mixed with other compounds to treat heart problems, dental applications (to inhibit plaque), and to treat migraines. Bloodroot paste is used externally for skin diseases, warts, and tumors. For ringworm apply the fluid extract. Bloodroot is said to repel insects. The root is used in as an anesthetic, cathartic, emetic, emmenagogue, expectorant, diuretic, febrifuge, sedative, stimulant and tonic.

Research is very promising for Bloodroot constituents. One is sanguinarine; it is showing results as an anesthetic, antibacterial, anti-cholinesterase, anti-edemic, anti-gingivitic, anti-inflammatory, anti-neoplastic, antioxidant, anti-periodontic, anti-plaque, antiseptic, diuretic, emetic, expectorant, fungicide, gastrocontractant, hypertensive, pesticide, respiratory stimulant and more. Another important constituent is Berberine (also found in Goldenseal, Oregon Grape and Honeysuckle) which is showing promise in fighting brain tumors and many other cancers.

CAUTION Use internally with caution, it contains toxic opium-like alkaloids and can cause mucous membrane irritation, an over dose can be fatal, do not use when pregnant or lactating. Bloodroot is not edible.

Excellent article here http://www.cancersalves.com/botanical_approaches/individual_herbs/bloodroot.html

DYE:
Ratio: 8 oz. chopped root to 4� gallons water.
Fresh rootstock yields red juice for dye which will give orange to orange-red with no mordant; rust with alum and cream of tartar; reddish-pink with tin.
Was once used to dye baskets, but does not take on some materials.
An old recipe of a Mrs. Razor for dying quills scarlet: 2 handfuls bloodroot, 1 handful inner bark of wild plum, 1 handful red osier dogwood bark, 1 handful alder bark; all were boiled together with 1 quart of water before adding the quills. Also: to produce dark red = 1 handful bloodroot and 1 handful inner bark of wild plum in 1 quart water, boiled together. Also: to produce dark yellow = 2 handfuls shredded bloodroot, 1 handful shredded root of wild plum, boiled together in 1 quart of water.

from here http://earthnotes.tripod.com/bloodroot.htm

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails