Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread Results

I am quite happy with the results, only thing I would do different is not use the quinoa flour as it imparts it's own flavor-would have been too strong if I would have used more than I did.

It is moist and really a nice bread. I am not a bread eater-as breads used to always make me sick before I knew about the gluten problem, and now I usually just don't eat bread. So this is a nice little treat for me.

Here is my changes to Karinas recipe-link http://karinaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/03/gluten-free-irish-soda-bread-recipe.html

Gluten Gree Irish Soda Bread-Kathy's version

dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cup Bobs Red Mill GF Pizza Mix

1/4 cup quinoa flour-next time I will use millet flour

1/4 cup sorgham flour

2 tablespoons orangic or raw sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

for the wet ingredients:

3/4 cup non sweetened soy milk-or any milk you would like, with 1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 large egg

5 tablespoons light olive oil

1 tablespoon agave nectar

stir ins:

1 teaspoon slivered dried apricot

1 cup yellow raisins-softened in hot water for about 15 minutes-drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan and dust with gf flour-I used cornmeal

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk the wet ingredients together in a seperate bowl

Make a well in the center of the dry and slowly pour the wet into this mixture, gently mixing as you go with a rubber spatula. If you need a little more wet-add milk in by the tablespoons.

Dough should be like a sticky biscuit batter, add the raisins and apricot slivers. Stir just briefly to incorporate in the mix.

Scrape the dough into your prepared pan-in the middle. Wet your hands with cold water to flatten and smooth the dough into a round loaf.

Using a sharp knife slice a criss cross into the dough. I then sprinkled a little organic sugar on top and then a little mineral salt on top too.

Bake for about 30 minutes until the center test done, loaf is golden and crusty, and sounds hollow on the bottom when thumped.

let cool on wire rack.

this bread will freeze well

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails