Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade Crackers

Multiply does not seem to place my photos in order where I want them to be-lol-this picture above is after the crackers have rested, have herbs sprinkled on top, along with a little mineral salt that has melted into the dough-I loved that! and just before I pricked them with a fork and baked.

and this photo is the crackers out of the oven, cause of the dough I needed to use alot of extra flour for rolling out-I used sorgham flour, that is what all the flour is on top-it did not effect the flavor though.

I have been wanting to make up a batch of gluten free crackers for some time now-well now I am doing it-lol

This is one of those sundays-that is cold out, my sinus' are killing me, but don't want to lay around-so just do a bunch of fun little tasks.

I have some gluten free flours in the freezer-that actually I have had for years, and really need to get used up. If I like these crackers-will be a great way to use them up.

I haven't really seen a gluten free cracker recipe that I really liked, so I got out one of my King Arthur baking books and went by one of their recipes.

This one is named King Arthur's Basic Crackers.

of course if you don't need to do gf flour, these would be awesome with unbleached flour or in combination with pastry whole wheat flour, even rye flour.

2 cups King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour -I used 1/2 cup of 4 flours-amaranth, teff, quiona, sorgham

1/2 tsp salt-I omitted in the dough-just on top of crackers

1/4 tsp baking powder-I upt to 1/2 tsp since using gf flours

1 tsp sugar-I omitted

4 tbsp. butter-I used olive oil

1 egg beaten into 1/2 cup milk or 3/4 cup milk with no egg-I used soymilk with egg

When ready to bake preheat oven to 400 degrees f

Mix the dough--in a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, using a pastry blender add in the butter til dough resembles cornmeal. beat the egg into the milk if using, with a fork, stir half of it into the mixture. add the rest stirring quickly

turn the dough onto a floured surface, knead gently a bit and let rest for an hour.

with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out until it is very thin aim for 1/16 inch.

I was using really delicate flours-so I rolled on floured parchment paper, I had a difficult time getting it thin enough, but did not have a hard time cutting and setting on sheets. Endless and I discussed this once about gf dough-I am thinking after resting an hour-perhaps chill in the frig. maybe even overnight-and then take out-roll out when warm enough to do so-seems to help out gf doughs. I am always too anxious to see the final result-lol

cut into desired shapes and place on cookie sheets-let rest 6 minutes. at this point I sprinkled on mineral salt, and herbs and then pricked with the fork before baking. The instructions were to let rest-and then prick with fork and then add toppings.

The way I did it-the salt melted into the dough-I liked that. For herbs I rolled out in thirds-first batch was cracked rosemary, second was an italian herb blend from Penzeys, and the third batch I used Penzeys mural of flavor herb blend

bake for 5-6 minues on one side-turn over and bake another 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp-but watch they don't burn--this you have to play around with, depending on your oven, and what flours you use-of course my crackers will not look browner cause they are already whole grain, but they will get crisp.

remove from oven and dry on racks to crisp up.

++++++++++++++++++++

These are awesome!! I love them!! Now to eat them with my bean soup that's been cooking in the crock pot-later.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails