Friday, January 22, 2010

Spring Fever Anyone?

Well, my friends Celeste and Deb have given me the spring fever-and that means getting ready to garden

I will plant my container gardens again-need to look for a couple larger ones, and I realized several of them from last year were just too small. Although it will warm up here earlier than what I am used to, my area seems to be getting some very wet springs, and late spring hard freezes as well.

However, next month I will clear off the top shelf in my kitchen garden window, and plant one flat of seeds-it is all I have room for right now. Perhaps I can see if Larry could build me a cold frame too-that would be wonderful for planting some early lettuce and such for salads.

Here are some links that dropped into my mailbox this week:

clever containers for small spaces some fun ideas here, think recycle, or reuse for different purpose-alot of these can be adapted for herbs, and veggies too--no space is too small for a little mini garden of some kind

create your own stunning hanging baskets-so much cheaper to put together your own, also try growing strawberries in a basket, or make up an herb basket, or make up a salad basket, Just do it! and have fun and reap the awards with blooms or edibles.

Here is a list of Veggie garden plans-lots of ideas here and edible gardening with more ideas

So get your seed catalogs out-and dream and plan a little for the upcoming spring

Oh wow! I was browsing for photos of catalogs and ran into this company, I am not familiar with them at all, they just produced their 225th anniversary catalog and looks gorgeous they sent out 40,000 free copies and don't have any more left but said they may reprint them but would cost 5.00

Landreth Catalogue 2010 http://www.landrethseeds.com/

Their catalog is also online, anyone familiar with them??

This catalog, which took more than a year to assemble, is the result of seven years of study by Melera of the company archives. "I was so taken by the charm and the relevance of what I found that I would store it in the back of my head. Just for me, I think."

Much of that research has now found a home in the 2010 catalog, including old photos, seed lists and even a "sports story" printed in a local paper about the outfielder who lost a ball in a field of Landreth onions and fired home one of the onions instead. The umpire never knew the difference as he called the runner out.

The catalog also includes a list of heirloom seeds available today for food grown by slaves, including varieties that were brought to this country from Africa or the Caribbean, probably by slave traders who had a financial stake in feeding their slaves.

The research for this list of 34 vegetables, grains and herbs was conducted by food historian Michael Twitty, much of it on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It is accompanied by a print of a restored oil painting commissioned by Landreth in 1909 of an African-American woman, post-slavery, peeling vegetables http://www.landrethseeds.com/catalog/african_american.php

What is your favorite seed company??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails