Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Brisket Update and Fudge

Last night we put the beef brisket into our slow cooker at the lowest setting possible-that was around 7 pm. Early this morning I checked it-and was very tender-yeh-so I turned it off, and then when I left for the day at 11 am I turned it back on, and cooked real low again til Sandy and I got back from town around 5 ish. Soooo supper was good. Yeh!!

I just finished cutting up my 5 pound pan of dark chocolate fudge-this one was one of the best I've made.

Here is the recipe:

Fannie May Type Fudge

We got this recipe from Larrys cousin Janice. This is actually the very best fudge to make during the holidays. It makes 5 pounds. So I cut it up in pieces and freeze with wax paper between the layers. Then I add these to my Christmas goodies bag. This is also very easy to whip up, none of that long beating like Grandmas chocolate fudge

I have since changed this recipe a bit; using diabetic friendly sugars etc, and using all dark chocolates. I will put my changes to the right of the recipe ingredients.

4 cups sugar-I now use 3 cups splenda and 1 cup natural sugar

1 cup whole milk-I now use Silk brand unsweetened soy milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract-I use my own homemade

25 large marshmallows-cut up-use a wet knife or wet scissors to keep from sticking to the blade while cutting

1 cup butter-I use 1/2 cup lightest olive oil and 1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 13 ounce package Hersheys milk chocolate bars-cut up into small pieces-I now look for the darkest chocolate bars with 60% to 80 % cocoa in them

1 12 ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips-I now use darkest chocolate chips I can find

2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate-chop into small chunks

1 cup nuts-I like any kind-walnuts, pecans, almonds

Mix milk, sugar, vanilla, and butter in a large heavy saucepan. Boil mixture for 2 minutes.

Turn off the heat and add the cut up marshmallows, and stir until melted. Now start adding and stirring in the chocolates, a little quantity at a time, I stir in handfuls at a time til melted, and then add more. Do this rapidly so you can get all the chocolate in and melted.

Stir in the nuts

Pour into a large greased (or wax paper lined) pan-a cookie sheet with sides works well. 12x16x1 works perfect.

I put this in the frigerator til set and firm.

Cut ito pieces, and store in the freezer. This is a softer fudge, but heavenly smooth and creamy.

You can also experiment with different flavors of chocolate-mint is very good.

This is the recipe I have posted to my blog in the past. This recipe is pretty versatile-it does turn out pretty well with the splenda, turns out better with all butter, and I usually don't have any real milk in the frig, but I always have Silks soy milk so I usually use that. and for the chocolates-use what you like just add up the total ounces in the recipe.

What I did this time was use all organic sugar, silks light soymilk, my homemade vanilla extract, the marshmallows, one 13 ounce Hersheys special dark chocolate, and for the other 12 ounces of chocolate I used Hersheys special dark chocolate and 100% cacoa chocolate bar, 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, I used no nuts this time.

I pour this into a cookie sheet pan with sides that have been buttered, cover with wax paper and let set up in the freezer. When you go to cut it, you may need to let it sit out of the frig for up to a half hour to soften up enough to cut up nice. This fudge is soooo creamy and smooth, I serve at room temperature, but store in the freezer or frigerator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails