Friday, October 2, 2009

Vintage Recipes from Newspapers and Such

I am still going thru a few remaining boxes-mostly to see whats in them if I can find a new home for them, or find somewheres else to put the boxes-lol which is getting difficult.

I came across a little box I had totally forgotton about. I have always picked up vintage cookbooks especially the little ones printed by Bakers Chocolate, Gold Medal Flour and such, whenever I find them at garage sales. This was a box that a friend of ours had given us along with a recipe file box that were his mothers. At the time he had no one to give them to and wanted me to have them. It was a few years before my retirement, and I was working on a cookbook with recipes I had collected from friends and family while living in Illinois. I wanted to print it and share before moving here to Missouri.

This book ended up being very large, too expensive to have published by those cookbook companies that do that, so Larry had found me a cook book program for the computer, and also a refurbished two sided printer.

I did the book myself, stamped and colored each one, designed the cover pages, and also numbered and signed them. I think I printed off 75 at the time. I sold about 50 of them and gave the rest away for gifts. Anyways our friend said his mom had some excellent family favorites so he gave all the recipes to me. I did include several yummy looking recipes in my cookbook. In the end our friend had a stroke, reconnected with his son, and sadly passed away-right when he wanted to live again. Long story short we were in contact with the son for awhile and I mailed him off the recipe file box that had all of his Grandmothers hand writing on them. If I would have remembered this box I would have sent this along too, I have since lost all the contact information.

Sorry for the long background on this. Well any of you that get excited about these older recipes would have had fun going thru this box with me. The oldest piece I found was dated 1925, most of the pieces were in the 30s, a few in the 40s and 50s. At the bottom of the box were quilt blocks cut out of the Stlouis newspaper at the time. These were block patterns that were sold for .10 at the time. Kinda neat as I can research out these blocks for the patterns, some of them I was not familiar with.

Remember the Yellow Angel Food Cake recipe that was my Grandma's?, I have posted this a couple different times; well I have never seen this recipe anywheres and in this box I found a newspaper clipping for a cake titled Narcissus and Daffodil Cake-the recipe is very similiar to the one my grandma used.

I also wanted to share a potato candy recipe I found in another newspaper clipping from the St Louis Daily Globe -Democrat, Friday Morning June 15, 1934

Potato Fluff Candy

3/4 cup of mashed potatoes

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1 teaspoon of lemon extract

1 cup of cornflakes

1 cup of chopped peanuts

speck of salt

Gradually work the sugar into the potatoes, then add the rest. Press firmly into a greased pan, let stand for twenty four hours cut into squares

I thought this following recipe, was interesting, never have seen cocoa butter for sale for cooking with, this comes from the same article

Chocolate Angel Food Candy

1/4 pound cocoa butter

1/4 pound chocolate,bitter

1/2 pound sweet chocolate

20 marshmallows

1 cup walnut meats,cut

Scrape chocolate and cocoa butter in top of double boiler and let stand in hot water until melted. Place over cold water and when still warm add the marshmallows, cut into 1/4 inch squares, and the nuts. Spread into buttered shallow pan 1 inch thick. Place in ice box until cold. cut in squares and keep cool.

and May 1935 -- a grocery ad

Jersey corn flakes 10 cents

Doggie dinner for your pets 9 cents

Bakers premium chocolate 8 oz cake 23 cents

while supplies last free autographed Shirley Tempel occasion dish

Self Polishing Wax-rite liquid wax pint can 39 cents

White King Soap 5 cakes 22 cents

Gold Medal Flour 24 pound sack 1.09

Large Florida oranges one dozen 20 cents

and to share one more recipe that was in a little handmade booklet of shared recipes-I had heard of saving and rendereing bacon fat but never chicken fat

Mrs. Art Nahlik's Devils Food Cake Made with the Rendered Fat from a Baking Hen

2 cups sifted cake flour

1 3/4 cups sugar

3/4 cup ocoa

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup soft chicken fat or any other liquid shortening

3/4 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 medium eggs, unbeaten

1/2 cup milk

Sift first 6 ingredients together; drop in the shortening, pour in the 3/4 cup milk and vanilla. Beat briskly 2 1/2 minutes

add 1/2 cup milk, and eggs beat 2 1/2 minutes longer.

Pour into two 1 1/2" X 9" pans greased and lined with wax paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until test done.

Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans, use your favorite frosting

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails