Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hump Day Handmade-Hooking Rugs

Wow!! Is it really Wednesday already? This month of October has just flown by here.

Growing up as a child, I will always remember my mom hooking rugs. She made gorgeous pieces-circular ones, rectangle ones, for the dining room wooden chair seats, and I believe her masterpiece would be the one she did for the staircase and landings. We grew up in an old home so there were alot of stairs.

Mom also gathered up reclaimed wools and redyed them with cushing dyes. She learned the east coast method of rug hooking, which is very refined with shading using very very narrow pieces of cut wool.

I would like to make at least one rug with this method, or perhaps some smaller items covering little stools or chairs.

I have not come across many magazines on this subject. Rug Hooking is a beautiful magazine but is out of my price range and our little library does not carry it. I have found good information searching blogs on blogger however.

Also if you do a google search for rug hooking you will also find alot of information. Primitives are very "in" now. I will probably start there as the wool pieces are much wider-up to 1/4" wide.

Here are lots of videos to choose from on You Tube demonstrating rug hooking.

here is one of them:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails