I am watching Food Network, waiting for Bobby Flay to come on, and they are talking about potatoes-and one place they visited is a company making spud fudge. I found a recipe online, looks interesting
- 3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes (if using leftover seasoned potatoes, omit salt)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted (optional)
- Line a 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler. Remove from heat.
- Transfer chocolate/butter mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add potatoes, salt and vanilla. Mix well.
- On low speed of an electric mixer, using paddle attachment, blend in sugar and mix thoroughly. Add nuts and knead until smooth. Press into prepared pan.
- Cool in refrigerator before cutting into squares.
Makes about 2 pounds candy.
Of course I would need to use the darkest of chocolate. any of you make this before?
and here is another really good recipe, and a link to the original company making these http://www.foodsdiscovered.com/2008/05/spud-fudge-reci.html
Here is a photo from the company that makes these