Sunday, August 30, 2009

This has been Great Grilling Weather-eggplant recipe

With these fabulous cooler temperatures here in the ozarks, I have been able to grill outside every night now for over a week. I love that.

Tonight I grilled a T bone steak from Angel Foods, these are always so big that all we need is one for the two of us, and still have left overs, I don't eat alot of meat at one sitting-am happy with just a few bites.

Last night I made our first grilled hamburgers-love those, and I just use simple salt free herb and spice blends from Penzeys-my favorite place to buy all my kitchen spices.

We also received an eggplant from a friend's garden-so I made that tonight along with a big chefs salad, and my own fresh tomatoes-I have a plant still producing a few tomatoes.

I like fresh eggplant just maybe a couple times a season. I don't like all the sauces and cheeses that are usually used with these, I like just a fresh taste for my homegrown veggies.

I have found my favorite recipe for fixing eggplant from chef Mario Batali.

So-lol-thought I would share this recipe, as I just love it for eggplant

It comes from Mario Batali's book Molto Italiano

The recipe calls for those wonderful Japanese eggplants, but I usually get one of those regular ones most raise. If it is on the small size will still work great with this recipe.

Sauteed Eggplant Melanzane in Padella

Makes 6 servings

I usually cut this down to handle one small eggplant

6 medium Japanese eggplant

1/4 cup extra virgin ollive oil

2 scallions, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Trim the stem ends from the eggplant and cut each one lengthwise in half (if you are using the regular eggplants-I peel them and cube them)

2. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the scallions, thyme, and vinegar and cook until the vinegar evaporates. Remove from the heat and season. Serve hot or at room temperature.

This recipe reminds me of portobello mushrooms-so good.

I found this photo-these varities are the best-as they are more tender and can usually eat the skins too

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails