Thursday, August 6, 2009

I am Making up a Batch of Limoncello


A couple blogs back I posted a recipe from Napa Style for Limoncello.
I had exactly enough lemons and limes, the exact amount of vodka on hand, and I checked the lavender outside and found three nice new sprigs.
I put it all together in the new jar from France I just picked up yesterday at the resale shop, and took a couple photos before I find a cool dark place in the house to store it for a month while it "does its thing"; before it gets strained off. Sure looks pretty in the jar
I had originally thought of making this with white rum as they showed on the program, but I working on my new motto-Use what I have on hand. I had the vodka so it'll work


Blog EntryAug 4, '09 1:21 PM
for everyone
Limoncello

I finished up with all the beans-in the freezer now, and re filled the dehydrator with peaches-so peaches all done too, have some left for eating fresh now.
So I needed a break, the weather is awful outside-hot and humid, so I made me up a big bowl of popcorn with olive oil and grey salt-and turned on the tv.
Needed something light-no more drama-I found the Jetsons-love that show. and then I found Napa Style which I really enjoy learning from.
Today he made:    
 Limoncello

Ingredients

Serves: 30
12 Meyer lemons, or a mixture of lemons and limes, preferably organic
3 sprigs fresh lavender, optional but adds a lovely floral edge
2 liters light rum or vodka
6 cups sugar
3 cups water


Directions

Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest—no pith—from the lemons in strips. In a glass container, combine the lemon zest, lavender, if using, and rum or vodka in a container, cover tightly, and let stand in a cool, dark place for 4 weeks.

Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a decanter.

Mix the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool before adding to the rum mixture.

Serve in small aperitif glasses.

Store in the freezer for up to 1 year. Serve directly from the freezer.


This really looked nice, have any of you made something like this before?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails