Monday, August 10, 2009

Best Ever Lemon Meringue Pie-Finally made it this morning

I have been needing to get all the lemons and limes juiced up-that I used their peels in the limencello recipe. I just checked it-and the aroma is just fantastic! and its been less than a week I think that I made it. After I juiced lemons for this pie, I made a big pitcher of lemonade-limeade with the rest and used stevia as the sweetener.

So anyways, I have been wanting to make this pie, its one of our favorites and I only make it with fresh lemons and fresh eggs. It takes me to 3-4 hours to make this one, so I need to not be tired. It stormed all morning with heavy downfalls of rain-so figured perfect time to do this.

Here is my recipe-I posted back in June 2006-under tags 360 pies, but thought I would re print the recipe today.

Best Ever Lemon Meringue Pie

This recipe comes from a very old Farm Journal Pie cookbook. These Farm Journals are just the best cookbooks, recipes come from country farm and ranch wives. Can always adapt some of them to a little healthier.

1 1/2 cup organic sugar

1 1/2 cups water

1/4 tsp salt or can leave this out

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/3 cup water

4 egg yolk-if possible free range fresh farm eggs

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice-look for organic lemons

3 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

4 egg whites

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup organic sugar

1 baked pie shell-graham cracker crust my choice for this

Combine sugar, water and salt in a saucepan and heat to a boil.

Mix the cornstarch and water to make a smooth paste and then add to boiling water slowly, stirring constantly. Cook unitl thick and clear. Remove from heat. (sometimes this takes a couple minutes and sometimes it just gets thick real fast) must add the cornstarch sollution in very slowly-or you will have a real mess and have to start over.

Combine the egg yolks and lemon juice and beat a bit with a fork. Stir into above and return to heat and cook stirring constantly until it bubbles again.

Remove from heat, butter and lemon peel.

Cover and cool until lukewarm.

Make your pie shell and then make the meringue.

For your meringue add salt to the egg whites and beat until frothy. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar beating until glossy peaks are formed. Stir 2 tablespoons of meringue into the lukewarm filling.

Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell. Pile on the meringue

Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes or until just browned.

cool on rack at least 1 hour before serving.

Larry is a diabetic so I don't make this one often, you can cut the sugar to a cup, I like this pie just a tad on the tart side-not super sweet. If you use Splenda you can use mostly that in the filling-but only use sugar in the meringue-not Splenda-the whites will collapse on you right before your eyes.

+++++++++++++++++++

We just cut the pie for an afternoon treat

51709513.jpg picture by kathyinozarks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails