Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dyeing Yardage for Curtains










I got my Dharma supplies, so sunday I did alot of dyeing. I did Larrys curtains in 2 gallon baggies-one panel in each. I get the best results of my hand dyes when I do them in baggies. I need to find if I can buy baggies up to 5 gallons-does anyone know of a source? The top picture are those-I love these-they have bits of green in them in the lighter areas.
In the tub I dyed panels for the patio doors in the dining area. I wasn't so sure about these-but they are going to work out fine, and Larry loves them-so they are a keeper.
The picture with the lighter tans and blue-were odds that I did, and will be used in my quilting projects
Today when I took our Nikita for a walk in the woods, I gathered lots of leaves that were in the process of changing colors to use as color guides. I want to make stamps out of them for the dining area curtains and paint them in with color.
I really enjoy the dyeing experience. Perhaps this could be a good direction for my etsy shop

Friday, October 3, 2008

3rd Day in the Dye Pot



Yesterday morning, my dye pot still had alot of yellow in it, so I picked a few more marigold flowers and tossed them in, and brought it back up to temperature.
I found a cone of white mohair which I wound half off, and I found a small cone of varigated brown and white wool. So after the mordant bath in the dye pot they went.
I didn't even strain out the flowers this time-which I probably should have done as they are pretty embedded in the mohair-but they should come out fairly well when dry.
The mohair has a lovely soft yellow to it, and the varigated is much more to my liking.
This was a fabulous project and will really get into it more next year. Things I learned was to spend a day and mordant up a bunch one day-and they dye the next day.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

a Little More out of Dye Pot



I had read that one can dye alot of wool with the goldenrod, so I saved what I had, and yesterday I added two gallons of water to it, I collected another 1/2 bucket of fresh goldenrod flowers, and I also added in a few deep colored marigolds-flowers only.
I did another alum batch of wool-this time with the recyled wools I have been buying from resale shops-already taken apart and washed in hot water.
These pictures are the results-Love these results as well, this wool will be used in wool applique projects or rug hooking each picture shows before and after the dye bath-I saved out one piece not dyed

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails